PurchasedFinishing your makeup look by applying just a bit of a highlighter on top of your cheekbones can really transform your skin appearance and add a beautiful glow to your skin. There are plenty of different textures as well as shades of highlighters available on the beauty market, but I found these three to be my favorite of all times.
Benefit Cosmetics High Beam - this is one of those products that I honestly can't find anything bad to say. Literally. High Beam is my #1 highlighter of all times, especially because it works great for everyday, day time use. The shimmer is very mild so it looks very natural on but still adds a gorgeous glow. It blends easily and it is very buildable if I want to go for a more dramatic, night time dewy look. Also the texture works great when mixing with foundation. I have the sample size and it lasts forever.
MAC Soft & Gentle (full review) - Soft & Gentle is a gorgeous, champagne shade highlighter. I love using it on my nights out, because it instantly gives my skin a "J.Lo" glow. It also photographs very well (especially with flash, ahh those cheekbones lol!). As you can see on the swatches below, Soft & Gentle shimmer particulars are slightly bigger than the High Beam or Inglot ones, so yeah sometimes I will use it during day time, but mostly I will stick to the evenings. The product swatches heavily because of its amazing pigmentation and the application is very easy, because it blends into the skin within seconds.
Inglot Face & Body Illuminator Nr 61 - when I went to Inglot store in Poland I couldn't decide which shade I wanted to try because they all looked beautiful! Eventually I've picked up this pearl white highlighter nr 61, but now I wish I would go for nr 62 which is even more beautiful (white with golden shimmer). The applicator is a bit messy and pumps out too much product, but I still enjoy using nr 61 on everyday basis. I think it is a perfect highlighter for fair skin types and since the product has a very similar texture to High Beam (Inglot is a bit more watery) and it cost much less, I am all for it. The shimmer is very mild so it looks very natural on and I love it.
MAC Soft& Gentle, Benefit High Beam and Inglot Face and Body Illuminator nr 61
1. Mainly focus on: top of your cheekbones, your temples, under your brow (highest point) and lips cupid's bow. Optional: you can dab some of the product on the top of your nose, chin and forehead.
2. Blending - make sure the product is very well blended. I usually do that in the up-down motion rather then circular to help blend and mix better the product with my bronzer and blush. Also I always use my clean fingers to apply a highlighter.
3. Less is more - start with very little product and work your way up to the desired result, but make sure you won't overdo, if you do your face might end up looking rather oily than dewy.
4. I usually focus only on the outside part of my cheekbones. I have a combination skin and if I apply the product too close to the center of my cheeks, my skin looks oily.
5. While highlighting does add a gorgeous glow to your skin, combined with contouring can beautifully sculpt your face and cheekbones and add some dimension to it.